Treatment and Prevention of Pinkeye
Viral & Bacterial Conjunctivitis:
Conjunctivitis, commonly called pinkeye, is inflammation caused by an infection of the inner lining of the eyelids. This is a common ailment which is highly contagious and easily spread especially among children.
Causes – there are several different causes of pink eye. A physician at Medrite can identify the cause and offer treatment and guidelines to prevent it from spreading to family members, coworkers, and children
- Pink eye is most commonly caused by viruses.
- Bacteria, although not as common, can also cause conjunctivitis and can be treated with antibiotic drops.
- vCertain allergies can also cause the condition and is called allergic conjunctivitis.
- Pink eye can also be caused by certain diseases, exposure to certain harsh chemicals, fungi, parasites, irritation caused by contact lenses.
- The whites of one or both eyes will look pink or red.
- One or both eyes may be painful or feel itchy.
- Tearing during the day and a dry crust may form on the eyelid after sleeping.
- You may experience sensitivity to light.
Treatment varies depending on the cause of the infection.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis can be successfully treated with prescription antibiotic eye drops. Medrite has an onsite pharmacy so you can pick up your prescription right after seeing your physician.
- Allergic conjunctivitis often responds to allergy medication. Once it clears up, avoid exposure to the allergen whenever possible.
- Viral conjunctivitis clears up on its own, but you doctor may suggest using antibiotic drops to prevent the bacterial form
Prevention: Remember, pink eye is highly contagious. As a general rule, don’t share items or products that are used on or around your eyes. Don’t share hand towels and change pillowcases. Don’t share contact lens products or eye cosmetics. Wash your hands often and try to keep them away from your face. Teach these basic rules to your children at an early age so they become habit.
Remember Medrite is here when you need treatment. You don’t need an appointment at our NYC walk-in clinic and you won’t have to wait long to see a doctor.
Save Time… Feel Better…